Finanssisektori sijoituskohteena

Tämä on ihan kiinnostava avaus. Lähinnä osoittaa, että jatkuvasti tuolta alttipuolelta putkahtaa uusia tuoteaihioita :slight_smile:

8 tykkäystä

Handelsbankenin kuulumisia Talouselämä-lehdessä.

Handelsbankenin mukaan Suomen ja Tanskan toimintojen myynti etenee suunnitelmien mukaisesti. :thinking:

”Suomen ja Tanskan toimintojen myynti etenee suunnitelmien mukaisesti, kuten totesimme viime vuoden tulosjulkistuksen yhteydessä helmikuussa. Meillä ei ole tämän lisäksi muuta kommentoitavaa”, viestiteltiin Handelsbankenin viestinnästä kiirastorstaina.

Talouselämän mukaan “moni ruotsalaispankin suomalaisista asiakkaista on jo vaihtanut pankkia”. Jutussa viitataan Suomen Pankin uusimpiin tilastoihin, joiden mukaan “Handelsbankenin yrityslainakanta Suomessa on pudonnut loppuvuoden aikana viidenneksen”.

Jos käy läpi Suomen Pankin tilastoja, niiden mukaan Handelsbankenin markkinaosuus yrityslainoista oli vuoden 2017 lopussa 8 %. Vuoden 2021 lopussa Handelsbankenin osuus yrityslainoista oli enää 4 %.

Tässä vielä samaa asiaa taulukkomuodossa vuosilta 2018-2021

• 31.12.2018 yrityslainoja oli 4,0 miljardia euroa ja markkinaosuus oli 7 prosenttia.
  • 31.12.2021 yrityslainoja oli 2,5 miljardia euroa ja markkinaosuus oli 4 prosenttia
31.12.2018 30.6.2019 31.12.2019 30.6.2020 31.12.2020 30.6.2021 31.12.2021
Handels-
banken
Kanta
milj. €
Kanta
milj. €
Kanta
milj. €
Kanta
milj. €
Kanta
milj. €
Kanta
milj. €
Kanta
milj. €
Lainat Suomeen 13 507 13 788 13 927 14 137 14 176 14 025 13 700
Asuntolainat kotitalouksille Suomessa 2 956 2 998 3 020 3 036 3 083 3 113 3 124
Yrityslainat Suomeen 4 013 3 982 3 505 3 569 3 343 3 072 2 513
Talletukset Suomesta 4 510 4 201 4 624 5 778 5 601 5 437 5 807

Hanskan kilpailijoiden kehitystä yrityslainojen osalta puolen vuoden ajalta.

30.6.2021 31.12.2021 Muutos 6kk
Yrityslainat
Suomeen
Kanta
milj. €
Markkina-
osuus
Kanta
milj. €
Markkina-
osuus
milj. €
OP Ryhmä 22 814 39 % 23 196 39 % 382
Nordea 18 399 31 % 19 014 32 % 615
Danske Bank 5 898 10 % 6 108 10 % 210
Säästöpankkiryhmä 1 298 2 % 1 377 2 % 79
Aktia Bank 702 1 % 759 1 % 57
POP Pankki-ryhmä 515 1 % 549 1 % 34
Ålandsbanken 568 1 % 573 1 % 5
Oma Säästöpankki 812 1 % 924 2 % 112
Muut 1 193 2 % 1 418 2 % 225
7 tykkäystä

Thanks for bringing this into my attention (viewed from a Handelsbanken shareholder).

I very much agree to the content of the article, especially on the part that concerns the sale of the Finnish operations, but not necessarily on the info concerning the Danish part. There is bidding “war” ongoing in Denmark where more or less all competitors have expressed their interest (even Nordea) in buying SHB assets. I think only Danske (which actually cannot) has not officially expressed their interest. Multiple sources claim this: FinansWatch, Finans.dk and Borsen.dk

But the Finnish side of operations will be sold way below book value. There are few possible candidates for buying (only Danske) and the buyer holds all the cards. As a critical note, Handelsbanken’s process of sale looks a bit amateur in the sense that the process should have been started much before any announcement of the sale.

The only positive factor is that the Finnish operations is such a ‘small’ part of the overall operations that it will not be the end of the world if its sold cheap. Also, I think that the Danish operations will compensate for any bigger losses.

An interesting aspect is that whilst the Finnish side of operations has lost its momentum and lost customers, the Danish operations has been doing surprising well (source last report). This can perhaps partly be explained that the Finland has a big focus on corporate while the Danish has a focus on mostly private loans.

4 tykkäystä

Thanks for updating the situation in Denmark. Article in Talouselämä was very Finnish-focused. The situation in Denmark seems to be quite different.

I’m also nowadays a very small Handelsbanken shareholder. The share price has not developed very positively in recent years. Some thoughts about the bank.

• It seems to me that the majority of analysts have been quite positive. There are 26 analysts who follow Handelsbanken. Sell-side analysts | Handelsbanken

• I would say that Handelsbanken needs more leaders like Jan Wallander. A new visionary leaders who ensures that the vision becomes reality by stating clear goals and outlining a strategic plan. Perhaps many know this SHB history, but here’s a few words about Wallander’s strategy.

Yhteenveto
  • SHB was in a major crisis in the early 1970s. Profitability was low and the top officials was in conflict with the authorities. Several top officials left the bank. In 1971 SHB recruited Jan Wallander to be the new CEO. He changed the management style of the bank totally.
  • Bank transformed to be decentralised and budgeting process was abandoned. He received a strong resistance. Wallander called this resistance the “budget bureaucratic complex”.
  • Decision-making was taken to the local level, where customers were best known. In this way credit losses were thought to remain under control. Wallander removed layers of middle management, giving business responsibility to local branch managers. He found that the credit losses came from decisions taken at headquarters, not from local decisions.
  • The new Wallander principle was that all credit matters must be prepared and approval locally, before being sent to headquarters for final approval. In new model, the branch offices became the primary units of the organisation. SHB has three levels of decision making: branch offices, regional banks and the central bank.
  • I like SHB’s low-cost approach. And SHB’s strategy seems to be as simple as before. Goal is to have higher profitability than the average of peer banks in our home markets through lower costs and more satisfied customers. In the past, SHB had lower costs than average Nordic banks. But in 2015-2017, the gap began to narrow.
    Handelsbanken 3

• Maybe the bank can return in a better cost-to-income level in couple of years time?
    For example, Handelsbanken CFO Carl Cederschiöld commented quite straight the decision to divest Denmark and Finland in Q4’21 earnings call.

• “I mean the strategic decision to divest from Denmark and Finland is based purely on that – we saw challenges in growing, as we wanted in these two countries. It would come at a high cost. And what we’ve told you earlier on was the contribution of income and cost lines where obviously, Denmark and Finland operations were harming the cost-to-income levels within the bank quite a lot.”

• Analysts from Kepler Cheuvreux asked SHB cost target. "You do not have an absolute cost target now going forward. But what is then your – what would you say is a normal cost-to-income level to run a bank at in a couple of years’ time?
    CFO Cederschiöld answered: “And then obviously, we’ve also said that we are divesting Denmark and Finland, which had a higher cost-to-income level. So, the consequence on that one will most likely not the cost-to-income level. So you should think about us trying to run the bank somewhere between 40% and 45%.”

More analysis from analysts and portfolio managers

• DNB released on 16 March 2022 new research report Swedish Banks: Robust capital providers. →
  • DNB writes nice words about Handelsbanken. For example, DNB regard “SHB’s defensive qualities and track record of resilience through downturns as particularly attractive features during times of uncertainty”. DNB is expecting a positive underlying earnings trend beyond 2022.

• DNB says that SHB’s typically low-risk approach is highlighted by its relatively low exposure to ‘considerable risk’ industries. In contrast, SEB and Nordea have larger exposures to these industries.

SHB DNB

All in all, some positive words about the bank. Still the change seems to happen slowly. Let’s wait and see what happens. Some portfolio managers also seems to trust SHB. For example, on the Seligson’s Phoebus fund portfolio SHB is currently the 5th largest investment and the weight is now 5,24 %.

6 tykkäystä

Very nice overview you have compiled of Handelsbanken. :+1:

The key features that you elaborate and point out are also the main reasons I have been a SHB shareholder for many years and I have espcially during the recent sell off during the last months added considerable more shares (for me and my wifes portfolio). Book value is around 92 (or little below).

In terms of valuation I would like add some thoughts:

I view that SHB now is in a bit similair position as Nordea was some time ago (when it was tarding in the 6 - 7 euro mark), and I view there should be a considerable upside in terms of valuation.

The main reasons are:

1. The current transformation process. Existing Fin and Dan which has been a drag on overall cost-to-income and return on equity. Their Swedish based operations operate in their 30s (which is super-dumper good), and return on equity is above 15%. And Sweden is their largest market, but the valuation of SHB does not currently reflect this. Also the closure of SHB offices in Sweden will bring down the costs.

2. The biggest winner on higher interest rates is Handelsbanken and Swedbank in the Nordic setting as their custumer base is mostly private customers (and not as you said risky industrial custumers). And where Handelsbanken differs from Swedbank is that their customer base is less risky than Swedbank (and with low loan to value ratio below 50%). Handelsbanken selects their customers in Sweden and their motto is to choose customers with ‘better cash flow’ as they express in the reports.

3. Given the credit rating of Handelsbanken is among the best in the world, their cost base for credit is rather low compared even to their Nordic peers which would give them an advantage in terms of cost base.

4. They have a lot of excess capital. Whereas e.g. Nordea has used their excess capital to buy back shares, Handelsbanken still sits on a lot of excess capital. And more is coming with the exit of Den and Fin. The question is what are they going to do with it as it becomes a drag on return of equity? Handlesbanken is cash conservative, and that we also saw in the recent dividend, which was a bit of disappointment (only 5 sek)

The biggest risk for Handelsbanken in terms of valuation going forward is the internal ‘battle’ between Lundberg (biggest shareholder) and Oktagonen (next biggest shareholder). Oktagonen is the process of doing an exit and is a drag on the valuation of share during the next years. I thing they are going to continue sell shares (a lot) in the near future given their commitment to take care of the SHB retirees, which have very generous benefits (perhaps too generous). And Lundberg will force them to do so, as he more or less decides how much dividend is paid put and in the process forces Oktagonen to sell more share all the time.

But if one is a long-term shareholder with a lot of patience I view that being a shareholder is comperatively ‘risk’ free in the current market and with high inflation in society.

Edit: a big thank you for the dnb report. Very insighful. :grin:

4 tykkäystä

Thanks for the good comments.:+1: These points must be kept in mind

Interesting to see what the Lundbergföretagen and Fredrik Lundberg will do. I just remembered slightly skeptical comments about Lundberg and “SHB saga” at Göteborgs Posten in october. :grinning: Handelsbankens nya storägare saknar en bra story | Göteborgs-Posten

“Inga bra storys, helt enkelt. Jag har själv intervjuat Fredrik Lundberg några gånger. Det har inte slagit gnistor om de samtalen. Denna tråkighet har präglat Lundbergföretagen och präglar alltmer dess portfölj av bolag. Det gäller numera även de bolag som ingår i det, sedan stormarna 2015, kontrollerade investmentbolaget Industrivärden, där Volvo AB, Sandvik och Handelsbanken utgör tunga innehav. Ett exempel på ett allt gråare innehav är Handelsbanken.”

Buybacks are also one thing. CFO commented buybacks in very limited way in Q4’22 earnings call.

“When it comes to the equity buyback scheme, it’s – it doesn’t have a one-to-one correlation at all with the Denmark and Finland decision. When we’ve divested them and we have the money in the wallet, we will get back to you and tell about how we will repatriate capital on that circumstance.”

Maybe we get more information next wednesday. Q1´22 report will be published on April 27.

3 tykkäystä

Pysyn edelleen hypoteesissa, että Suomeen syntyy kunnon “varainhoitomöykky”. Varainhoito on kasvuala, mutta konsolidaatioajurit ovat selkeät. Tuskin jää alan viimeiseksi liikkeeksi. Näiden diilien syntymisen todennäköisyys kasvaa, kun markkinanäkymät eivät enää ole niin aurinkoisia kuin vuosi sitten. Mielenkiintoista tulee. Vaikka Sampo ei sitä ole ääneen todennutkaan, itse uskon Mandatumin olevan keskeisessä roolissa konsolidaatiokehityksessä.

12 tykkäystä

Update on the sale of Danish part of Handelsbanken. Based on this article the deadline for bidding ends this week and the most likely winner is either Nykredit or Jyske. Both are big banks in Denmark. Nykredit probably the favorite as it uses the same software as Handelsbanken.

6 tykkäystä

Suomen Pankilta selvitystä; 4.5.2022 Suomen Pankin tiedotustilaisuus rahoitusjärjestelmän vakaudesta - YouTube

Mitähän tuo kriisinkestävyyden parantaminen tarkoittaa… Lisää vakavaraisuustiukennusta?

3 tykkäystä

Ennakoinnissa oletetaan EKP:n nostavan talletuskorkoa ensimmäistä kertaa vuoden 2011 jälkeen. Koronnostosyklin on ennustettu jatkuvan joulukuussa, jolloin ollaan nostamassa sekä talletuskorkoa että ohjauskorkoa. Odotuksia on, että negatiivisten korkojen aika päättyy tämän vuoden puolella.

Tässä meikäläisen höpinät viikon takaisesta yhtiöillasta. Varainhoitajien trendeistä ja liiketoimintamallista:

12 tykkäystä

Ohessa mielenkiintoinen KKR teksti modernista salkusta.

https://www.kkr.com/global-perspectives/publications/regime-change-enhancing-the-traditional-portfolio

Jos et jaksa lukea, niin heidän ajatuksena on vaihtaa perinteinen 60/40 osake/korko :arrow_right: 40/30/30 osake/korko/alternatiivi. Tällä parannetaan tuottoja ja pienentää volatiliteettia.

15 tykkäystä

Mielenkiintoista jos tämä toteutuu. EKP:llä on tapana kopioida ameriikasta paljolti tekemisiään, niin voi olla kohta myös Euroopassa edessä. Käytännössä tuo voisi tarkoittaa esimerkiksi Nordean kohdalla oman pääomatarpeen kasvamista mikä syö tietenkin bisnekseltä. Kaikki pankit eivät käytä noita IRB malleja, niin ne voisivat muutoksen tullessa olla yhtä-äkkiä kilpailukykyisempiä Nordeaa vastaan, joka pystyy pitämään pienempää ydinpääomaa omien mallien ansiosta.

Pahoittelen, että artikkelilla on maksumuuri mutta en oikein löydä että mikään muu lähde puhuisi asiasta.

https://www.risk.net/regulation/7948741/credit-risk-capital-models-hanging-by-a-thread-in-the-us

3 tykkäystä

Kuinkahan monta lainoja tarjoavaa pankkia ja muuta puljua mahtaa suomessa olla,onko kenelläkään tietoa ?

It appears that Jyske is the likely acquirer of Handelsbanken Denmark as Spar Nord us out (news below). Spar Nord was cooperating with a bid together with Nykredit.

Jyske share is currently down more than 8 percent (not as a result of the idea of buying SHB Danmark is a bad one) but because Jyske needs to sell own shares (which is has bought via its own buyback program and which Jyske has not cancalled yet) for over 2 Billion Dkk to finance the deal and this of course puts pressure on Jyske share.

Spar Nord Bank

Spar Nord Bank verkar ha dragit sig ur köpstriden om Handelsbankens danska enhet - BN (Finwire)

2022-06-10 11:39

Spar Nord Bank, en av de tilltänkta köparna av Handelsbankens danska verksamhet, ser ut att ha övergett de planerna. Det sedan banken beslutat att dela ut hälften av fjolårsvinsten, ämnad initialt för potentiella förvärv, till sina aktieägare i form av utdelning. Det rapporterar Bloomberg News.

Spar Nord Bank sade i ett uttalande att det inte “längre finns ett behov” av att sitta på medlen. Banken hade enligt lokal media kopplats ihop med Nykredit och potentiellt också Vestjysk Bank som budgivare på Handelsbankens danska verksamhet genom ett konsortium. Men nu blir det istället en utdelning och snart även lansering av aktieåterköp för upp till 225 miljoner danska kronor.

Separat har även Jyske Bank uttryckt ett intresse men har nackdelen av att använda andra datasystem än Handelsbanken. Banken faller över 6 procent på Spar Nord Bank-beskedet eftersom man nu betraktas vara i förarsätet att köpa upp Handelsbankens danska enhet. Men det innebär också att Jyske Bank kommer behöva sälja återköpta aktier för 2 miljarder danska kronor för att finansiera affären. Det lär i sådana fall sätta press på kursen. Jyske Bank har inte annullerat de återköpta aktierna som brukligt, vilket indikerar att en aktieförsäljning ligger nära till hands.

Handelsbanken meddelade i oktober att det tänker sälja både den danska och finska enheten. Därefter kommer man att finnas kvar bara i Sverige, Norge och Storbritannien.

Edit: I hope this true:

"Om man ska tolka kursrörelserna och Spar Nords pressmeddelande kan det tyda på att priset på Handelsbanken blir högt, att Jyske Bank är mycket intresserat av banken och villiga att erbjuda ett högt pris, och att de kommer att kompromissa med datacentralsutmaningen de kommande åren, eventuellt till dess att kontrakten kan sägas upp om ett antal år", sade Per Hansen, investeringsekonom vid Nordnet, till Marketwire".

source: Nyhetsbyrån Direkt

Edit 2: some info of the speculative price: (source Finanswatch citing Nordnet): almost 1,5 times book value :sunglasses:

“En pris på 8 mia. kr. virker alt i alt meget høj, og det er en af flere forhold, som gør investorerne nervøse. Med rette,” skriver Per Hansen i en kommentar.” Det nævnte beløb på 8 mia. kr. svarer til en kurs/indre værdi af Handelsbanken Danmark på 1,49, hvilket er markant over prissætningen af Jyske Bank, som med en kurs på 370 kr. handles til blot 0,7 gange den bogførte egenkapital.

Edit 3: if there is any truth in this price, would indicate that handelsbanken share is undervalued based on the fact that the Danish branch had a ca 10 - 11% return on equity and sells around 1,5 book value, whereas the biggest branch Sweden (represents around 70% of all the profits), returns on equity around 15 % and yet the handelsbanken shares trades now at ca book value

2 tykkäystä

Dagens Industri kirjoittaa Handelsbankenin Tanskan ja Suomen toimintojen myynnistä.

Handelsbanken vahvisti keskiviikkoiltana käyvänsä neuvotteluja Jyske Bankin kanssa Tanskan osalta.

Suomessa tilanne on kuitenkin hieman monimutkaisempi. DI spekuloi tilanteen ehkä johtavan siihen, että Handelsbanken voi joutua myymään Suomen toimintansa osissa.

“I Finland är situationen knepigare och risken är stor att SHB får bita i det sura äpplet och sälja verksamheten i delar.”

HBL:n juttu aiheesta:

5 tykkäystä

Finanssiala kertoo, missä mennään tällä hetkellä EU-tasolla.

3 tykkäystä

aika mielenkiintoinen taulukko asuntolainojen ja pienten+keskisuurten lainojen riski lattia vaateista.
aika epäreilua peliä noiden pankkien sisäisten mallien takia.

2 tykkäystä

Olisiko tässä yksi syistä, miksi Ålandsbanken on yhä vahvemmin suuntautunut Ruotsin asuntolainamarkkinoille? Ruotsin 4,2 % on aika kaukana Suomen 15,8 % asuntolainan riskilattiavaateesta.

Olisiko Suomessa kielletyt (?), mutta Ruotsissa yleiset 100 vuoden asuntolainat syy eroon? Sama ilmiö on myös pk-yritysten lainoissa (18,4 % vs. 44 %), joten ei riitä selitykseksi. Vaiko olisiko selitys toteutuneiden riskien vähäisyys menneisyydessä?

Voisiko joku pankkialaa tunteva vielä kertoa, vaikuttaako lainojen riskilattiavaade muuhun, kuin pankin minimivakavaraisuustasoon, kiitos.

Vakavaraisuusvaateet eivät ole Suomessa olleet pankeille mikään haaste. Ainakin ne pankit, joita Juurikki on seurannut, ovat ohjeistuksessaan määrittäneet, että vakavaraisuusvaatimus ylitetään muutamalla prosentilla. Kiristyviin EU-vaatimuksiin riittää ohjeistuksen tarkistus.

1 tykkäys

Onko nämä tässä kuvassa siis valvojan asettamia lattioita vai keskiarvoja kunkin maan pankkien IRB mallien tuottamista RW arvoista? Kysyn siis koska muistelen että Finanssivalvonta olisi juuri luopunut 15% lattiasta suomessa ja toisaalta että ruotsissa olisi 25% keskimääräinen riskipainolattia käytössä. Koitan kaivaa jos löytäisin mistä luin.

Riskipainolattiasta tosiaan tämän mukaan luovuttu vuoden 2021 alussa suomessa.

Ruotsissa tämän mukaan 25% keskimääräinen riskipainolattia.
https://www.fi.se/en/published/news/2021/european-commission-approves-extension-of-the-risk-weight-floor-for-swedish-mortgages/

1 tykkäys