Marimekko - Ajatonta suomalaista designia

Well, we are playing with words now. All the new products they introduced are made abroad. They have expanded the collection from 2015 with many new products or re-introductions of older ideas, but only this time they were made abroad. Let’s talk about particular things so we don’t get lost in generalizations. Was it a good move that the Christmas cards box was made in China? What are the competitive advantages of printing Christmas cards in China to sell them in the Finnish market?

The point of having production in Finland is that they can justify higher prices, so less inventory is needed to achieve same sales. Do you think higher prices can be justified on products made in Asia, when so many other companies also do that but sell at much cheaper prices? We have observed since November massive sales, never seen before for Marimekko. In December there was an up to - 50% on jackets. Even now if you go in the website you get some pop up about sales. Literally, we will have again next quarter shrinking margins, inventories even higher, and people will be “OK, it’s just seasonal.” I don’t know why it is so difficult to see the problem.

Perhaps you can bring some numbers to the conversation regarding your expectations on sales, margins and acceptable valuation for the share so we could understand your thinking in facts rather than in anedocts? Then you will propably also note quite easily where you differ at least compared to my expectations.

17 tykkäystä

I wrote about inventories up 25%. Isn’t that right? I wrote about employee count up 10%. Isn’t that right?
+1 store since last year, but +10% more employees.

How did the management justify all that? If the economy is so weak, why they keep on hiring? It’s not difficult to understand that it’s not the economy that’s weak, but the inventory is difficult to move.

Mainittiinko lähteissä, että nuo uudet 10% työllistyvät myymälöihin? Jos lisäys on esim tuotekehitykseen tai markkinointiin, niin en olisi yhtään huolissani lisätyövoimasta, vaan päinvastoin.

2 tykkäystä

En nyt ihan ehkä ole samaa mieltä että vertailukausi olisi ollut erityisen vahva kun korona kuitenkin kuritti retail puolta vielä Q4/2021. Koska liikevoitto otti niin ikävästi takkiin on myös syytä epäillä että liikevaihtoa haettiin alennusmyynneillä ja suuremmilla ale prosenteilla. Koska kansainvälisen myynnin kasvukin heikkeni 5 prosenttiin viimeisellä neljänneksellä, oli tulos mielestäni sikäli täysin odotetusti heikohko.

Suurin riski on kuitenkin mielestäni itse brändissä ja odottaisin että profit marginit tulevat ottamaan osumaa ihan yleisen taloustilanteen mutta myös esim tämän ylisuuren ikea yhteistyön alentaessa brändin arvoa ja kansainvälisten asiakkaiden mielikuvaa sopivasta hintaluokasta jota ovat valmiita tuotteista maksamaan.
Ainakaan minulla ei tule mieleen yhtään brändiä joka olisi samalla tavoitellut maksimaalisia massamarkkinoita tyylin 20 euron mukilla vs onnistuneesti samaan aikaan myynyt laukkuja plus 300 euron hintaluokassa vaan kyllä marimekon pitäisi alkaa pikkuhiljaa valitsemaan mikä se heidän tavoite segmentti on. Jos ja kun näitä yhteismallistoja tekee niin valita kumppanit jotka nostaa brändin arvoa eikä niitä jotka laskee sitä. Ja jos nyt jonkun Ikean kanssa jonkun malliston tekee niin pitää nyt hyvät ihmiset sen huomattavasti rajoitetumpana ja edes vähän korkeammalla hintalapulla.

Kituva kasvu jollaiseksi kansainvälisen myynnin kasvua voi kutsua voisi kuvitella ja varmaan kuvitellaankin Marimekon johdossa turvalliseksi ja vakaaksi mutta itse asemoisin mekkoa toisella tavoin, nostamalla kaikki tuotteet pysyvästi premium luokkaan ja käyttämään koko voiton kansainväliseen markkinointiin mukaanlukien rekrytoimalla jonkun kansainvälisesti alalla menestyneen CMO:n yrityksen palvelukseen.

Nykyisestä tuotteistuksesta, yhteistöistä ja kansainvälistymisestä tulee väkisinkin mielikuva puoliturvallisesta puuhastelusta joka on harmi sikäli jos/kun Marimekosta voisi oikeissa käsissä kasvaa helposti 1-2 Miljardin liikevaihtoa tekevä yritys 3-5 vuodessa.

14 tykkäystä

Me and my wife bought some Marimekko kitchen products including 15-20€ mugs for Christmas. It was not so that we didn’t have any mugs or plates. Drinking coffee from Marimekko mugs makes me feel good. If friends come over, I feel better when offering coffee from bit more better mugs. If not dropped, those mugs will make me feel good for years and years just for few euros.
Why would you buy 5€ Ikea mug if you can have free mugs? You can find those from Tori and I can give you some if needed. One has Fedex logo and all!
I know many people have trendy clothes and those can be expensive. Still many buy those. You can have just as good clothes that last as long for few euros from Tokmanni or Lidl. Many buy trendy clothes to boost their status and ego. They normally do not care were those are made as long as those have familiar brand name. Some people even like expensive watches. How stupid of them? You can have working one for just few euros and can even live without one as long as you have phone.

9 tykkäystä

The point here was this. If Marimekko makes the mugs in Thailand to sell them for 20-30 euros (not anymore because these are constantly on sale now - 20% to - 50%), why not make them domestically and sell them for 30 without a discount and proudly as a Finnish product, Finnish design and Finnish craft. When you leave Finland from the airport, you might want to get something Finnish abroad either to friends or a memory for you. Would you buy a mug made in Thailand as a memory from Finland?

There is a lot of brands making things abroad. Marimekko doesn’t need to do that. If they do that, then they have to compete with Ikea because for international sales, who cares if it designed in Finland so long its made in Thailand and so many brands do that already. There is nothing special about it anymore.

As per luxury watches, it’s an art. It’s like al luxury brands. You should respect them for their tremendous execution. Luxury products and art have tremendous demand regardless the economic environment. A good amount of people appreciate craftsmanship and exclusivity. Also there are many people who want to buy products from brands that pay fair wages, manufacture their own things in-house and don’t make millions and millions of copies of one thing somewhere in a cheap labor environment. There are other brands to do that. Like IKEA.

2 tykkäystä

Moomin mugs are also made abroad and I bet many buy those from airport.

1 tykkäys

I don’t use Marimekko mugs because of their manufacturing country. I buy them because I want to enjoy the design and the nice patterns. For that, it doesn’t matter whether they are made in Thailand or in Finland. Of course, with the price being the same, I would prefer Finnish made. But choosing between

a) Ikea mug for 5e
b) Marimekko mug for 20e (made in Thailand)
c) Marimekko mug for 30e (made in Finland)

I would probably choose b. It brings most of the benefits I want to get when buying Marimekko and the price is ok. I’m happy to pay 15e for the design but not 10e for the manufacturing country.

I think that is at least part of the logic behind Marimekko’s decisions to outsource abroad.

10 tykkäystä

Jos olen ymmärtänyt oikein, ei Suomessa ole ollut enää moneen vuoteen teollisen mittakaavan astiakeramiikkatuotantoa sen jälkeen, kun Arabia/Iittala siirsi tuotantonsa Thaimaaseen. (Mielelläni olen väärässä tässä asiassa, joten korjatkaa ihmeessä, jos joku tietää asian olevan toisin.)

Marimekon mukivolyymeilla ei vielä kannata tehdasta pystyyn laittaa ja pienessä pajassa käsityönä tehtynä hinta tuskin kohtaa ostajaa. Thaimaassa on yli 4000 vuoden perinteet keramiikan tekemisessä. Väitän, että tämä Thaimaassa tuotettujen Marimekko-mukien debatti on melko turha sivuraide tässä keskustelussa.

27 tykkäystä

Se on totta kai ollut ensisijaisesti kustannuskysymys, miksi tämäntyyppinen valmistus on lähtenyt Suomesta pois, ei Marimekko tässä mikään poikkeus ole. Kuten Hammaskeiju totesikin niin Arabiakin on jo vuosia sitten siirtänyt tuotantonsa pois Suomesta koska:

Jos jossain voi valmistaa tuotteita kolmanneksella siitä hinnasta, joka valmistukseen kuluu Suomessa, niin vaikeahan tuotannon siirtämistä on estääkään.

Mitä tulee vaatteiden ja tekstiilien valmistamiseen mitkä on kuitenkin se Marimekon ydinbisnes niin vaikka tämä Fashion Finlandin jutun otsikko väittääkin rehvakkaasti että “Vaatteita valmistetaan kannattavasti myös Suomessa” niin itse juttu kertoo kyllä aika ankeaa tarinaa Suomen tekstiiliteollisuuden tilasta.

Ensimmäisiksi esimerkeiksi Suomessa vielä valmistavista yrityksistä on nostettu Sidoste (liikevaihdoltaan n. 3-4M€ sukkavalmistaja), Tam-Silk (n. 3M€ alusvaatevalmistaja) ja Jokipiin Pellava (n. 4M€) Kaikki ovat 30-40 hengen “nyrkkipajoja”. Seuraavat esimerkit ovat tästä vieläkin pienempiä. Tämä kertoo siitä kuinka pienimuotoista Suomessa jäljellä oleva valmistava vaate-/tekstiiliteollisuus enää nykypäivänä on. Marimekon vuoden 2022 liikevaihdon kasvu oli jo enemmän kuin näiden kolmen “suuren” valmistajan koko liikevaihto yhteensä.

Ei oteta kantaa siihen onko Marimekolle ollut virhe lopettaa tuotanto Suomesta aikanaan vai olisiko sen pitänyt taistella tuulimyllyjä vastaan, mutta jos katsotaan ihan vain nykypäivää ja mitä nykyjohto voi tehdä niin vaikka Marimekko nyt yhtäkkiä päättäisikin, että ei väliä että tuotantokustannukset on moninkertaiset Suomessa me pystytään kyllä laittamaan se hintoihin (ottamatta kantaa onko tämäkään realistista vai ei), niin se ei edes olisi mahdollista koska ei Suomessa ole mitään piilevää osaajakapasiteettia että yhtäkkiä voisit ruveta valmistamaan täällä tekstiilejä kymmenien miljoonien edestä ja pyörittämään teollisen mittakaavan vauhdilla kasvavaa toimintaa josta sitten jakelet tuotteita ympäri maailmaa. Tuossa linkkaamasssani jutussa on hyviä esimerkkejä tästä että näillä pikkupuulaikeillakin on asian kanssa haasteita kuten:

Muotikuulla oli teollisen silittäjän työpaikka auki kaksi vuotta, mutta paikkaan ei löytynyt työntekijää. Sama toistui, kun yrityksen leikkaaja jäi eläkkeelle.

Pätevien osaajien, kuten ompelijoiden, puute on vaikeuttanut tuotantoamme kotimaassa. Aukeaviin työpaikkoihin ei ole enää osaavia hakijoita. Suomessa on kokonaisia eläköityviä ammattikuntia, sanoo Varkki-Terho.

Kun valtaosa tekstiiliteollisuudesta katosi Suomesta, ei tekstiilien tuotantopuolelle kouluttautumista ole nähty enää järkevänä vaihtoehtona. Alan opetustarjontaa on supistettu, ja nykyään tekstiilialan koulutukset painottuvat suunnitteluun.

– Mallimestarimme kertoi, ettei opiskelijoista löydy ensimmäistäkään, jota hän voisi suositella. Valmistuvilla ei yksinkertaisesti ole vielä riittäviä taitoja.

Ja nyt puhutaan siis ihan yksittäisistä työntekijöistä. Mielestäni on epärealistista kuvitella, että tuotantoa voitaisiin Suomessa ruveta tekemään isommassa mittakaavassa lyhyellä aikavälillä, se juna meni jo vuosia sitten. Tuotanto on ajettu alas, osaavat ihmiset ovat eläköityneet tai menneet muihin hommiin aikapäiviä sitten ja alan koulutus on myös ajettu alas. Muutamat jäljellä olevat yrityksetkin on hiipumaan päin.

Siinä olisi Marimekolle aikamoinen vuori kiivettäväksi kun tätä kuollutta toimialaa alkaisi yksinään Suomessa herättelemään henkiin.

49 tykkäystä

Mikä Marimekosta tekee niin miellyttävän? Tiedän, että designit voivat miellyttää, mutta en koe niiden olevan niin ylivertaisia, että valitsisin Marimekon suomalaisen tuotteen sijasta. Esimerkiksi Pentikin astiat ovat aika samaa hintaluokkaa kuin Marimekon, mutta Pentikin astiat valmistetaan Posiolla. Mielestäni olisi tärkeämpää tukea suomalaista työtä kuin ostaa pelkkää designia.

Suomessa valmistetaan kuitenkin kodintekstiilejä, kuten lakanoita ja pyyhkeitä, jotka ovat jopa halvempia kuin Marimekon vastaavat. Mitä väliä on pyyhkeen tai lakanoiden designilla? Kukaan ei kuitenkaan katso lakanoitaan, pyyhkeen vielä ymmärrän jotenkin, mutta mielestäni laatu on tärkeämpi tekijä. Marimekon laatu ei kuitenkaan ole parhaasta päästä oman kokemukseni perusteella.

Marimekon brändi on omasta mielestäni kärsinyt yhteistöiden takia. Esimerkiksi Uniqlo ja Adidas ovat jättäneet muun muassa työntekijöiden palkkoja maksamatta. Viekö tällaiset yhteistyöt Marimekkoa siihen suuntaan, mitä brändistä toivotaan ajateltavan? Marimekko kuitenkin tekee työtä oikeudenmukaisuuden ja tasa-arvon eteen, eikö yhteistyön toisen osapuolen toiminta ole ristiriidassa Marimekon arvojen kanssa?

Miksi vastuullisesti toimiva kuluttaja valitsisi Marimekon Suomessa valmistetun tuotteen sijasta? Järkevämpää on ostaa Suomessa valmistettua ja samalla tukea suomalaista työtä. Sillä on kuitenkin positiivinen vaikutus suomalaisten työllisyyteen. Tuote on suurella todennäköisyydellä vastuullisempi ja laadukkaampi sekä joskus jopa halvempi.

6 tykkäystä

Tässä on Salkunrakentajan Jorma Erkkilän tekemä juttu Marimekosta ja sen Q4-tuloksesta, jutun lukee muutamissa minuuteissa. Jutussa on lainattu Evlin analyytikko Arttu Heikuraa :slight_smile:

"”Japani on Marimekolle selvästi merkittävin maa tällä alueella, ja siellä on jo varsin kattava Marimekko-myymälöiden verkosto.”

Yhtiö odottaa liikevaihdon Aasian-Tyynenmeren alueella kasvavan vuonna 2023, samoin kuin koko kansainvälisen liikevaihdon.

”Vuonna 2023 yhtiön tavoitteena on avata arviolta 5–10 uutta Marimekko-myymälää ja -shop-in-shopia, ja valtaosa suunnitelluista avauksista sijoittuu Aasiaan”, Alahuhta-Kasko toteaa."

Heikuran mukaan Marimekon osakkeen arvostus näyttää melko maltilliselta historiallisiin sekä verrokkien arvostustasoihin nähden. Evli odottaa Marimekon osakekohtaisen tuloksen nousevan tänä vuonna 0,63 euroon viime vuoden 0,56 eurosta. Siten kuluvan vuoden ennustettu P/E-kerroin on 14,6x ja EV/Ebit-kerroin 11,1x.

16 tykkäystä

Okay, lets say I agree that moving production to cheaper labor territories was a right call. Could you please tell me why inventories are going higher and higher every quarter? 33 million euros in inventory in the end of 2022. Keep in mind, we talked here since November about long sales last year. Still, when you go in the website there is some 25% and up to 50% discounts even right now. Has Marimekko ever had this kind of massive discounts in the past? Do you understand that Marimekko is soon becoming a discount brand? Nobody will be buying unless there is some huge discount. We are becoming something like Finlayson. Do you remember what the CEO told in q3 2022? She said that sales in 2022 will be “clearly higher than in 2021.” Was that the case? Is “clearly higher” meaning “flat”? Even with a cheap euro in Q4, the quarter was weak. This means that both the foreign markets don’t care much about Marimekko, while the Finnish and Nordic market, is starting to ignore Marimekko. You really think Finns, Swedes, Norwegians, Danes have a “cheap” appetite? Have you seen how many people wear Canada Goose outside? Why buy the Marimekko “made somewhere in Asia” jacket for 500-600 euros and not the exclusive “made in Canada” for 1000?

PS. No disrespect for Finlayson. Their napkins are made in Finland from sustainable forestry and cost 2.89 vs the Marimekko one that cost 2.99 and are made in Germany. Why do you think people will buy the Marimekko product in this particular case? Don’t you want the management to focus on these issues?

3 tykkäystä

I think you have a fair point regarding the sales and it is worrisome to see inventory grow higher.

However, I’d argue you miss the mark about the origin of the products. Let’s consider one of the most well know luxury brands Luis Vuitton. You might have seen videos about the quality and workmanship of their products, what grade leathers they use etc. and still just the brand carries it. I believe that the masses that buy these products don’t care us much where the product is made - as long as it gives you status and the feeling of owning one of the most sought out brands.

Now, considering Marimekko, they are not at the level of LV or similar brands and in Asia being Nordic and Finnish carries a lot of weight for the brand. Does it carry enough though that they can move the labor to cheaper markets - I don’t know - it depends how well the brand penetrates and gains recognition. What I do like however is the higher profit margins that can be made this way. If successful that is.

What I also agree with you are the discounts. This doesn’t bode well for a luxury brand. The card I’d like them to see play more is artificial scarcity. They recently launched a pink coloured Unikko hoodie that sold out fast. More partnerships where they build this sort of recognition. Eventually it will build towards people wanting just the regular Marimekko clothes also because these limited editions will be hard to get and expensive on the second hand market.

4 tykkäystä

Fair point @Badwithmoney. I agree. There is also another issue. The CEO told us about weakness in q4. At the same time she told us also about opening new stores. Isn’t this controversial a bit? Why open new stores now if you see a “weak” economy ahead?

The other thing is this. Wouldn’t it be better for Marimekko to use the balance sheet cash and probably buy some prime locations during a “market weakness”? This can then be a fantastic asset in the balance sheet for the future. I like McDonalds for the fact they own the land and their main source of income is rent. Marimekko owning the stores instead of relaying on leasing agreements that consciously go higher and higher is not a terrible idea or a big risk IMHO. After all, you leave the hassle of employing the correct sellers and store management to the store operator, and you focus on feeding them inventory and collect rent. If there is something to drive margins, I don’t know of a better idea. Worst case scenario you have some real estate in the balance sheet. The worst case scenario of leasing new stores in a weak economy? I don’t even want to think about now.

I don’t quite understand how comparing Marimekko to McDonalds is relevant. McDonalds operates in completely different line of business with a completely different business model (franchising) and of all of world’s Mcdonalds’ only 15% are owned and operated by the McDonald’s corporation directly). Marimekko operates the majority of its own stores so in those cases Marimekko would be paying rent for “itself” (I think atm ~50% of Marimekko’s employees work in its own stores). Or did you mean that Marimekko should completely stop operating stores itself and outsource all of that? Otherwise atm I guess this would be mainly applicable in Japan where the stores are owned by partner but I have a hard time believing that Marimekko has competitive advantage on owning property in Japan. (Also, since it’s partner owned I don’t imagine that it’s Marimekko who’s paying the rent there)

No, worst case scenario is that you own some real estate that is not worth anymore the value you paid for it and you need to do write downs. Or actually the worst case is that on top of that, you realize it is not a good place to operate a store and you cannot get a tenant with a decent rent. Quite naive to think that owning property is somehow risk free sure to way make lots of money.

15 tykkäystä

What I write is very clear. You just alter what I write and interpret it your way. The management believes we are having a market weakness. Not me, read what the CEO told both in the earnings call and the interview. At the same time, they plan to lease stores. Do you think this is a smart move? What is better to do in a market weakness? Do you have data to say that once you buy in a market crash property never recovers? What would you rather do if you are headed to a recession? Buy property or write a leasing contract just before the recession?

Right now you have several millions in liability on your balance sheet as leasing contracts. Wouldn’t you rather own the property and move slowly this liability to your assets? You can then depreciate it and even pay less taxes. Many companies do that. McDonald’s is the one that has mastered it. But apparently you don’t want to hear or understand a different opinion if you believe what I wrote above is that “I want Marimekko to become McDonald’s”…

By the way, the article you cite says "The company owns about 45% of the land and 70% of the buildings at their 36,000+ locations (the rest is leased). " Please read it. It backs exactly what I wrote to you. That once you own the property you don’t care about the operation. Your main income is from property and depreciation. I don’t understand why is that a such terrible idea.

1 tykkäys

As of q4 2022 Marimekko has a 25 million euros of leasing liability sitting on the balance sheet. The company owns 35 stores, but leases 75 and there are +30 locations (the so called “in store”) where they mainly sell something else but also Marimekko products. This has a leasing cost for Marimekko as they operate on somebody else’s property and have to pay to be there regardless if this will be successful in the end.

I simply say that Marimekko should focus on owning more than the 35 stores and reducing the leasing agreements. Marimekko doesn’t need to rush to new leasing agreements as the CEO promised and instead keep some cash to increase the stores they own in the first opportunity, like in a recession

Owning the store gives more leverage as you could even get somebody else to operate it in the future so you don’t have to ride two boats at the same time, which are product development and retail store administration. The retail leasing and store management is what eats the margins. Instead of the 25 million euros in leasing you could have had a 25 million in asset that would also reduce your taxes through depreciation.

3 tykkäystä