Mandatum - Nallen yritysjärjestelyperinnön jatkaja?

Palkkiotuotoista! Kyse on palkkiotuotoista. AuM kasvoi viime vuonna hurjasti. tämä dippi on vitsi!

21 tykkäystä

Tämä Mandan 2022 tulosjulkaisusta https://www.sampo.com/globalassets/year2022/mandatum/mandatum_group_annual_report_2022.pdf

4 tykkäystä

I also have a quite negative view of Mandatum. The point of my comment is to offer a point of reflection to the otherwise rather positive view of Mandatum in this group. I do not say I am right and you are wrong, but rather read it for what it is worth.

(Note: I still own a few shares which I received as a Sampo shareholder, but plan to sell the rest, sold my first batch of Mandatum shares two-three weeks ago).

My argument:

• why invest in a company that is so highly dependent on market sentiment, customer behaviour?

• why invest in a company that is only able to generate a RoE of 9,7 %? There are other alternatives with better RoE, e.g. Nordea and Sampo (If had over 30% RoE in 2023). Yes it is perhaps not fair to compare to other businesses but it gives a reflection point. For example Mandatum’s Cost/income ratio related to client AuM was 65,5 %, compare this ratio to Nordea cost-to-income which was 40%. Handelsbanken Sweden has under 30% cost - to - income ratio. Again I am perhaps comparing apples to pears, but the banks are more effective in generating return on equity. Bank price to book valuations (e.g. Nordea/SHB) are rather similar to Mandatum. And I believe banks are able to sustain a higher RoE than Mandatum going forward.

• why invest in a company does not have a clear growth plan? What happens after 3 years when Mandatum has distributed its 500 Million? Where does the growth come from supporting a similair level of dividend distribution? Mandatum has branded itself as dividend company but is it able to sustain ca 0.33 eur dividend per share in 5 to 10 years?

• Mandatum can buy growth by pursuing consolidation. However, here the seller has usually the upper hand. Yes Altor (biggest shareholder) can facilitate these pan-Nordic acquisition by e.g. selling some parts of Carnagie to Mandatum or vice versa. But as a small shareholder I would not put all my trust in Altor and its CEO Harald Mix. Use google to get more info of him and Altor.

Mandatums current valuation is ca 1.9 to 2.0 Billion Euro. I view this as a rather right level, especially given it low range of RoE and current book value.

52 tykkäystä

Nyt on ilmassa montaa eri näkemystä Mandatumista! @Kasper_Mellas raporttia odotetaan kuin kuuta nousevaa…

Alla lainausta KL-jutusta:

”Mandatum toteuttaa parasta aikaa rakennemuutosta laskuperustekorkokannan asteittaisella alasajolla.

Yhtiö aikoo puolittaa laskutusperustekorkoisen vakuutuskantansa vuoteen 2031 mennessä.

Kasvustrategian ytimessä on keskittyä vähän pääomaa sitoviin ja jatkuviin palkkiotuottoihin perustuviin tuotteisiin.

Mandatumin koko vuoden tilikauden tulos ennen veroja oli 210,4 miljoonaa euroa. Vertailukaudella tulos ennen veroja oli 75,7 miljoonaa euroa.

Toimitusjohtaja Petri Niemisvirta luonnehtii tulosta erinomaiseksi. Hänen mukaansa hyvä kehitys Mandatumin strategian ytimessä olevassa pääomakevyessä liiketoiminnassa konkretisoitui sekä nettorahavirran että palkkiotuloksen kasvuna.

Hallinnoitavat asiakasvarat ja siinä samalla palkkiotuotot kasvoivat mukavasti, eli toimitusjohtajan myönteiseen näkemykseen on sinänsä helppo yhtyä””, Mellas toteaa.

Mandatum jakaa viime vuoden tuloksestaan osinkoa 0,33 euroa osakkeelta. Yhtiö on linjannut pyrkivänsä jakamaan vuosien 2024–2026 aikana kumulatiivisesti 500 miljoonaa euroa osinkoja.

Mellas avaa Mandatumin osingon koostuvan pidemmällä aikavälillä kahdesta osa-alueesta.

Toinen on tulososuus. Yhtiön kasvualueet ovat pääomakevyitä eli niihin ei tarvita mittavia investointeja. Näin ollen merkittävä osa tuloksesta voidaan jakaa ulos.

Toinen tekijä liittyy edellä mainittuun rakennemuutokseen, joka vapauttaa aikanaan suuren määrän pääomia.

Mellaksen mukaan yhtiön ylikapitalisoitunut tase ja suhteellisen positiivinen tulosnäkymä taannee sen, että ainakin nykyinen osinkotaso on turvattu muutamalle seuraavalle vuodelle”

36 tykkäystä

Olisin kiinnostunut kuulemaan lisää tästä Business Technologies-osastosta. Jos toimari avaisi liiketoimintamallia tjsp. Vuosiraportista ei löytynyt yhtään mainintaa “business technologies”.

Voisit kysyä kanssa että onko Mandatumilla kiinnostusta listata Saxo Bank pörssiin?

3 tykkäystä

Good points.

I think if one believes Mandatums growth story (yes there is growth!) in asset management side while shrinking with profit business over time, in the next 10 years investor could own very profitable asset light business. And of course with profit business is still there but every year this low profitability business (weighting down ROE) is smaller and smaller.

I would argue that well run asset management business that grows >5 % per annum is very valuable indeed.

While this transition is happening an investor receives a nice dividend north of 8 %.

Maybe worst case is that business is not that valuable after all, and investor buys shrinking Mandatum worth 4 euros with 4 euros, receives 4 euros in dividends the next 10 years and pays taxes on those dividends so he or she ends up with 3 euros. :smiley: Im am joking just a little bit, but if asset management side performance is underwhelming it is not so far from the truth.

82 tykkäystä

Completely agree with @Verneri_Pulkkinen .

There have been two critical views about Mandatum which is good food for discussion however

As 916 wrote

• " There are other alternatives with better RoE, e.g. Nordea and Sampo"
    “Why invest in a company does not have a clear growth plan?”
    "Again I am perhaps comparing apples to pears, "

Yes indeed, this is what I wrote earlier to @AP_1981 . What are the comprables we are measuring Mandatum against? Why choose to compare apples with oranges?

Mandatum performing worse in few chosen Indicators, compared with companies like Nordea or Sampo, does not invalidate Mandatums right to existence.

Personally I really like Mandatums strategy change toward an asset management focus. Makes it easier to understand and performance comparison is also easier.

Tykkään todella paljon kriittisistä näkökulmista, mutta mielellään perustelujen kera.

Cant wait for tomorrows interview!

16 tykkäystä

Maybe just to give some thoughts (and answers still):

a) What I hope people would understand is the share dynamics. The pre tax result of Mandatum was 210 MEUR, of which “with profit” made around 160 MEUR. The with profit is in run-off and roughly in 2030 the balances should be halved. If one has a steady margin, the 160 MEUR should turn roughly to 80 MEUR in 2030 and if there is no growth or no improvement of margin in the remaining asset management business or unit-link insurance the pre tax results will be ca. 130 MEUR in 2030. If share price is directly relative to the results this would mean that in 2030 the Mandatum share should trade at 2,37 EUR (3,83 todays close*130/210 - this is naturally a simplification, would mean around 20c loss per share per year).

b) In terms of share price one would need as such growth in the asset management and unit-link business to cover this loss (and a steady margin).

When it comes to the margin, two key notes:

c) The point of noting out the low New Business CMS in Unit-Link (UL) is important that it also indicates that the margin might be shrinking (or is de facto) in this business - i.e. the value loss is higher. In terms of the whole industry; when UL was created many insurers realized that they can charge rather high fees from customers. In general these fees are grouped to alpha (admin and distribution fees), beta (asset management fees), gamma (account charges) and surrender fees. Additionally some of these fees might be upfronted. To give an idea of “early days” UL: a client signs a 1000 EUR a year regular premium policy for 15 years, alpha being 5%, beta 1% and gamma is 1%. In term of uprfronting the alpha of 15 years is levied in first 5 years (in able to pay higher commission to sales network) - and the surrender fee is 100% for the first five. Now, lot of these early contracts have deemed (for a reason!) to be unfair for the customer and regulatory authorities have set limits on all of these - what one sees quite often is that the relative result of a UL insurer is downward trending (relative to volume) over last years - i.e. the new contracts (more fair) are less profitable than the old ones. In these kind of cases one often sees similiar figures as in the case of Mandatum, low new business (CSM) high release (old contract lapses, CSM).

d) In terms of asset management I take for granted that Mandatums expansion to another countries is expensive; i.e. there are set-up costs, legal costs and client acquisition is more expensive than in home market.

e) In terms of Mandatum it is also notable that they do not have their own distribution network nor a captive bank. This usually leads to high distribution costs (banks know how to charge as they know the fees) and agents (like Alexandria) are often driven by the commission (see upfronting example) (i.e. don´t be suprised also if a broker like Alexandria offer you UL products from some offshore with more relaxed fee regulation…).

The point of above (f,d,e) is just to note that people should understand it is not only about the asset growth, it is also about the margin. If you look at the example in the beginning (with-profit) and combine it to the above, it is not only about the 160 MEUR that is under pressure it is also the 50 MEUR from Asset Management and UL. In this context it is worrying that the retail UL NBV is only 2,2 MEUR, basically this means (roughly) that in the contractual period (10 to 15 years?) only 2,2 MEUR is expected to be earned (mind discounting), significantly less than what was released. Is this an issue of the older contracts (industry specific) or not, one never knows, but can speculate.

When it comes to the background Sampo was trying silently sell Mandatum, but apparently there was only one bidder (rumor Storebrand), but price opinion was apparently rather big. Spinning off was as such the only remaining option.

Concerning large M&A the company has no experience. Covering the 80 MEUR WP hole would with a 10 p/e mean 800 MEUR in acquisitions by 2030, which seems very aggressive. Keeping in mind that asset managers have low net asset values, majority of such acquistions would mean goodwill, which under Solvency II is deducted from SII Own Funds (i.e. would be from shareholders perspective same as dividend) - point being that this would be risky to the dividend and capital returns.

The point of this whole is not to bash. Hopefully people just understand that 8% dividend is de facto from the result and from the return of capital (deriving from the WP run-off) and the shareprice as such (depending how much one believes in AuM growth and margin) should decrease for natural reasons (how much - well, let´s start from 20c per year?).

Is this a return one likes? Well, one can do worse (Betolar, Duell) and one can maybe get a better total return somewhere else too…

…anyway will warmly recommend to monitor New busines Value when time goes (<5% per annum asset growth is worthless if new margin is 0% or less, :wink: )

56 tykkäystä

“Tarina etenee raiteillaan.”

Tavoitehintaa nostettu 4,4 euruun :fire: (“OSTA”)

:jeans:

79 tykkäystä

Raportissa muuten suositus-kohdassa tavoitehinnaksi on jäänyt 4,20 vaikka tekstissä kerrotaan nostosta 4,40 euroon.

16 tykkäystä

Hyvää analyysiä. UL/riskihenki-säästövakuutusten kulta-ajat oli ja meni. AUM nojaa Mandatumilla nyt 40 hengen tiimiin ja legacy tukeen muualta organisaatiossa. Tämä on hyvin henkilösidonnaista ja suhdetoimintaa inst.sijoittajiin. Kansainvälistyminen on ihan A&O kasvua ajatellen. Saa nähdä, miten nopeasti tähän tulee M&A mukaan ja millä kuviolla.

17 tykkäystä

OP säilyttää Mandatumin suosituksen LISÄÄ-tasolla Q4-raportin jälkeen ja pitää
tulospäivän kurssireaktiota ylimitoitettuna. Vaikka yhtiön raportoitu tulos ja osinko
jäivätkin odotuksista, kasvoivat tarinan kannalta keskeiset palkkiotuotot
OP:n ennusteiden mukaisesti ja näkymät ovat näiden osalta suotuisat. Toivottua
alhaisemmalla osingollakin Mandatum yltää lähes 9 % osinkotuottoon, mikä on yksi
Helsingin pörssin korkeimpia. Tavoitehinta perustuu osien arvon summa -
laskelman ja osinkovirtamallin yhdistelmään, laskee 4,30 euroon (aik. 4,50).

38 tykkäystä

Nordea myös antaa suosituksen osta ja tavoitehinta 4,40€.

36 tykkäystä

Mikäli markkinaolosuhteet pysyvät vakaina, yhtiö ohjeistaa palkkiotuloksen kasvavan vuodesta 2023. Ja kuten täällä jo todettiin, niin laskuperustekorkoisen kannan ohjeistetaan supistuvan edelleen. OP:n arvion mukaan Mandatumilla on hyvät edellytykset ylittää nettomerkintöjen tavoitetahti (yli 5 % hallinnoitavista varoista) myös vuonna 2024, ellei pääomamarkkinoilla nähdä merkittäviä negatiivisia yllätyksiä.

Ristiinmyynti on ollut vahvaa kumppaneiden kanssa (henkilö-, yritys- ja instituutioasiakkaiden välillä). Nyt sitten seurataan, miten paljon pienenevä kanta syö varainhoidon ja henkivakuutusten tuottoja tulevaisuudessa vai pysyykö pää pinnalla. Pääomakevyen liiketoiminnan (henkivakuutus, varainhoito) kasvunäkymät ovat houkuttelevat ja Mandatum on näillä markkinoilla vahvistanut systemaattisesti asemiaan.

18 tykkäystä

Oma melipiteeni, mutulla.
Lyhytnäköisen tuotto-odotuksen so. osingon pienentyminen, vaikka mitään varmuutta ei mistään edes ollut- osaltaan aiheutti kurssireaktion. Missä pitkäjänteisyys? Missä kestokyky? Pätee mielestäni melko laajalla otannalla, mm Capman ja monia muita.

6 tykkäystä

Onko Mandatumin 0,33 osinko nyt jo “pettymys”? Heti alkuun ilmoittivat paljonko jaetaan 3v kuluessa ja siitä laskelmasta tuli melko tarkkaan 0,33 per vuosi per osake jo silloin.

Sen sijaan mietin että jos osakekohtainen tulos on 0,32 ja osinko 0,33 niin tuohan ei ole kestävää. 60-70% tuloksesta osinkona tekisi jonkinlaiseksi perusosingoksi 0,192 - 0,224 eur/osake.

1 tykkäys

Kaikki tietävät että seuraavat 3v jaetaan ylisuuria osinkoja. Näillä ei ole mitään tekemistä kestävän osinkotason kanssa. Tämän vuoksi osinkoprosentti on muutaman vuoden korkealla, mutta samalla kurssi (olettaen ettei mitään ihmeitä tapahdu firman bisneksissä) tulee väistämättä sulamaan jonkin verran kun raha siirtyy firman taskusta omistajien taskuihin.

21 tykkäystä

Tarkoitin osinkopettymyksellä tuota OP:n tekstiä. OP pettyi osinkoon?

“Vaikka yhtiön raportoitu tulos ja osinko jäivätkin odotuksista, kasvoivat”

2 tykkäystä

Very good comment. Mandatum looks attractive because of its dividend yield (Finns love dividends) and supposedly low PE ratio. However, life is not that simple. I bought some when the price dropped below 3.40 last fall but I have doubts about the long term prospects of Mandatum. I believe markets are right (most of the time they are) and Mandatum’s current valuation is fair.

Tässä vielä toimari Niemisvirran haastis inderesTV:ssä.

Haastis avaa hyvin kohtuu vaikeaselkoista tulosta ja sen ajureita. :smiley:

58 tykkäystä